Here There Be Books (BL)

I love books with great characters who go on adventures and/or solve mysteries re: invading aliens/vampires/etc. I blog about those books at Here There Be Books!

This is the BookLikes thingy for HTBB.

Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon - Cara Chow Originally reviewed at Here There Be Books.So: Bitter Melon. There's been some drama about this book, mostly because I think it came out around the same time as Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother and people were kind of like "ANOTHER book about an obsessive Chinese mother?"Well, yeah. But it's more a book about an abusive Chinese mother, about the clashes between Eastern and Western cultures, and about finding your own voice. It's a little hokey in some places, Frances' cousin is also pretty boring, with boring (and fake-sounding) dialogue to match, and I have no idea why it's set in the 1980s, except to cut out cell phones and computers (which would have made the plot go in entirely different directions), but I liked it. I think I was in that rare mood where I wanted to read something depressing and sad, and that's this book. (It did get happier at the end, of course.)I can see why some people are upset with Bitter Melon, because it's kinda disappointing to have ANOTHER book that's basically repeating all the stereotypes, cliches, and exoticism of Asian societies that's been in, like, almost every other book with an Asian character in it since the 1970s. But I nevertheless liked Bitter Melon because it seemed to be more about the effects of emotional and verbal abuse than the effects of "extreme Chinese parenting." You know what I mean? It was Gracie, Frances' mom, that was the problem, not Chinese culture. Frances, meanwhile, was a pretty brilliant heroine. She knew where her mother was coming from (although I don't think she realized that her mother had issues) and why she wanted Frances to succeed so badly, but Frances also knew that if she was to be happy she'd have to figure out her own path. Bitter Melon is her working through the problems between herself and her mother, and of Frances finding her own perspective in things.Being the kid of an immigrant is tough, especially if the culture your parents came from isn't entirely the culture you yourself are a part of. It's also difficult being a parent (even without the mental problems Gracie had), and Bitter Melon shows off both sides of the issue pretty brilliantly. It's a story that may have been done before (a LOT), but it's (probably) still an important story to tell.I think you do need to be in the right mood for such a book, though, because it IS very much like a Lifetime movie ("My Mother Beats Me With My Trophies") in the almost OVER-emotional narrative aspect. But overall? I liked it.

The Kingdom of Little Wounds
Angel Lawson
Countdown City
Ben H. Winters
Rags & Bones: New Twists on Timeless Tales
Holly Black, Kelley Armstrong, Rick Yancey, Neil Gaiman, Carrie Ryan, Saladin Ahmed, Melissa Marr, Margaret Stohl, Kami Garcia, Tim Pratt, Gene Wolfe, Garth Nix, Charles Vess
Hild