Here There Be Books (BL)

I love books with great characters who go on adventures and/or solve mysteries re: invading aliens/vampires/etc. I blog about those books at Here There Be Books!

This is the BookLikes thingy for HTBB.

The Red Necklace

The Red Necklace - Sally Gardner As a book of magical realism, it’s really good. I liked the interweaving of real historical events with magical ones, and I especially liked how the magical stuff just was, without any big fanfare or anything. The writing was very pretty in some places, and the pacing of the story was almost perfect. I also really liked the idea of the book, which is very interesting (and magical!) and why I decided I wanted to read it in the first place.But I was really disappointed by the characters. They never felt like “real” people to me– by which I mean I didn’t feel they had any depth. All the time I was reading The Red Necklace it felt like I was watching a puppet show instead of becoming part of the story. You know what I mean? There was no connection between myself and the characters.Read the rest of my review at Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog!

The Kingdom of Little Wounds
Angel Lawson
Countdown City
Ben H. Winters
Rags & Bones: New Twists on Timeless Tales
Holly Black, Kelley Armstrong, Rick Yancey, Neil Gaiman, Carrie Ryan, Saladin Ahmed, Melissa Marr, Margaret Stohl, Kami Garcia, Tim Pratt, Gene Wolfe, Garth Nix, Charles Vess
Hild