Here There Be Books (BL)

I love books with great characters who go on adventures and/or solve mysteries re: invading aliens/vampires/etc. I blog about those books at Here There Be Books!

This is the BookLikes thingy for HTBB.

Tooth and Claw

Tooth and Claw - Jo Walton This review was originally posted at Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog on Jan. 10, 2012.Like most books I buy, it's been so long since I bought this one-- over a year!-- that all I could remember about Tooth and Claw was that it had dragons. And, well, yeah, it's got dragons. But it's got a lot of other stuff, as well!The dragon aspect is pretty central, though. If Tooth and Claw starred humans rather than dragons, then it'd be a Victorian-esque historical romance with all the trappings that genres comes with: family issues, women being trapped and yet somehow still in charge of their own destinies, the danger of lost virtues and the regaining thereof, and basically everything else you'd find in a Jane Austen novel (although Austen is, of course, Regency and not Victorian. In fact, if it weren't for the hats and social progress going on I'd think Tooth & Claw more Regency than Victorian).Lest you be sucked into a false assumption that this is a comfortable book, the main issue behind everything going on in T&C is the fact that dragons eat each other. They eat their family members. They eat employees and servants. They eat other dragons they defeat in battle-- although that's rare. And this eating each other? Is something I found deeply disturbing. I'm not alone in this, right? I mean, it's completely disgusting and really weird for people/dragons to eat each other, even if it's okay by basically everyone and even if it makes them stronger. I kept trying to convince myself that it's a part of their culture and I should accept it for what it is, but in the back of my mind "they're eating each other!" spun like a really bad song stuck on repeat. It made for an interesting reading experience! And I actually kind of liked that. I liked being challenged when I read a book sometimes, especially when it's by a book that you wouldn't normally expect that sort of thing from.Anyway, besides that whole thing, Tooth and Claw is extremely fun to read. I love Victorian/Jane Austen-ish romances, especially when they have interesting characters in them. I also like rooting for people to get together or for the baddies to get their comeuppance (I should mention I don't normally root for people to die, though). and happy endings where everyone gets married appeal directly to the soft, squishy part of me that adores stuff like that (I hope that wasn't a spoiler. Everyone HAS to get married at the end; it's not a romance if they don't!).So: if you like fantasy books, especially ones with dragons, and if you like romance novels, especially ones with Victorian stuff in them, then you'd no doubt love Tooth and Claw. It's got just a hint of unease to it that makes it almost completely different from other fantasy romances, and if you like books that poke you somewhere uncomfortable then Tooth and Claw is, again, the book for you. Personally, I liked it because of the dragons, the romance, the whole Victorian social thing, and the happy ending which made me squee with happiness.

The Kingdom of Little Wounds
Angel Lawson
Countdown City
Ben H. Winters
Rags & Bones: New Twists on Timeless Tales
Holly Black, Kelley Armstrong, Rick Yancey, Neil Gaiman, Carrie Ryan, Saladin Ahmed, Melissa Marr, Margaret Stohl, Kami Garcia, Tim Pratt, Gene Wolfe, Garth Nix, Charles Vess
Hild