Here There Be Books (BL)

I love books with great characters who go on adventures and/or solve mysteries re: invading aliens/vampires/etc. I blog about those books at Here There Be Books!

This is the BookLikes thingy for HTBB.

The Knife of Never Letting Go: bk. 1 (Chaos Walking)

The Knife of Never Letting Go - Patrick Ness This review was originally posted at Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog on April 18, 2012.Don’t you just love it when the stars align and you’re finally able to get a book that you’ve been wanting to read (and that other people have been telling you to read) for ages and then you read it and it’s amazing? I do! And that’s what happened with The Knife of Never Letting Go.I’ve previously read Patrick Ness’ A Monster Calls, which was scary and heartbreaking. I expected TKONLG to be somewhat the same, only more dystopian-y and with more sci-fi stuff. Um. It kind of is, but only like how household cats are technically related to tigers. A Monster Calls is Bubbles the cat; TKONLG is freakin’ Zazzles the king of tigers.Basically I don’t think I expected how BRUTAL The Knife of Never Letting Go is. Not, like, violence-related brutal (although it IS violent), but emotionally brutal. It’s brutal in a way that you can’t really recover quickly from, especially if you tend to obsess over details like I do. I only managed to get over it by reading a lot of non-Chaos Walking books, tbh, and while I want to finish reading the series I’m a little bit scared to stick myself back into that world. The Knife of Never Letting Go is a really good thriller/horror story in that regard, and it makes almost every other YA dystopia look sort of wimpy.Besides the horror stuff, there’s a lot of other good things in here. Aliens! Space travel! I love aliens, and dystopias with sci-fi stuff in them. Todd’s whole story arc about figuring out that who he thought he was, what his world was, and what his family was was a big fat lie– that was great! (And heartbreaking.) When Viola showed up I did a little cheer, because for a while there I was worried it’d be another book with no (living) women in it. And, overall, I just really like Patrick Ness’ writing. It tends to make me want to curl up in a ball and cry, but it’s very, very good writing.If you like dystopias or books that haunt you for days after reading them, The Knife of Never Letting Go is the book for you!

The Kingdom of Little Wounds
Angel Lawson
Countdown City
Ben H. Winters
Rags & Bones: New Twists on Timeless Tales
Holly Black, Kelley Armstrong, Rick Yancey, Neil Gaiman, Carrie Ryan, Saladin Ahmed, Melissa Marr, Margaret Stohl, Kami Garcia, Tim Pratt, Gene Wolfe, Garth Nix, Charles Vess
Hild