Here There Be Books (BL)

I love books with great characters who go on adventures and/or solve mysteries re: invading aliens/vampires/etc. I blog about those books at Here There Be Books!

This is the BookLikes thingy for HTBB.

Street Dreams

Street Dreams - Tama Wise This review was originally posted at Here There Be Books on January 20, 2012.The problem (if it can be called a "problem") with reading so many great books in a short amount of time is that the books that aren't great but are still good seem even less good than they normally would if they'd were read after a streak of sucky books. Do you know what I mean? Street Dreams isn't a bad book. I just wasn't as wowed with it as I wanted to be.I liked Tyson! He's got a lot of problems and he doesn't always know what to do, and sometimes he's too dependent on a dream of an imaginary savior who'll fix things for him, but I liked that about him. He's got faults! I love characters who have faults that they have to work through! I also liked the characters surrounding Tyson-- especially the adorable dude who ends up as Tyson's boyfriend. They all felt like very real people to me, warts and all. That said, despite the fact that I liked the characters, and the music/art stuff was very interesting (especially since it was centered around local New Zealand artists), for some reason I wasn't blown away with the book as a whole. It's a very low-key book, and I think it was overshadowed by the non-low-key books I read immediately before it. That's not Street Dreams' fault, and in fact I feel pretty bad that I don't love it more, but, well. It's not a bad book, remember! In fact, if you want to read more GLBTQ books, or books set in non-US places written by non-US authors, or books with POC characters, then Street Dreams fits perfectly. And it's totally worth reading, too!

The Kingdom of Little Wounds
Angel Lawson
Countdown City
Ben H. Winters
Rags & Bones: New Twists on Timeless Tales
Holly Black, Kelley Armstrong, Rick Yancey, Neil Gaiman, Carrie Ryan, Saladin Ahmed, Melissa Marr, Margaret Stohl, Kami Garcia, Tim Pratt, Gene Wolfe, Garth Nix, Charles Vess
Hild