Here There Be Books (BL)

I love books with great characters who go on adventures and/or solve mysteries re: invading aliens/vampires/etc. I blog about those books at Here There Be Books!

This is the BookLikes thingy for HTBB.

The Wednesdays

The Wednesdays - Julie Bourbeau, Jason Beene Originally reviewed at Here There Be Books.This is a cute MG fantasy book with an interesting premise: creatures called Wednesdays show up in a certain village on the day of the same name, and they cause major trouble. Shoelaces snap, souffles collapse inward, people get stained blue, etc. etc. The protagonist, Max, is the sort of adventurous hero you need to lead this sort of story forward-- he's curious and intelligent and just a little bit too trusting. Those very things, though, land him in a more dangerous kind of trouble than what he's used to with the Wednesdays, and with the help of his friends he tries to solve the mystery of the Wednesdays, save himself, and maybe even free the town from its plague of trouble. Woohoo!Unfortunately, and this always annoys me when it happens, the mystery isn't ever completely solved. We learn a bit about how Wednesdays are made (sort of), where they come from (vaguely), and why they cause trouble (well, it's inferred). But nothing's ever solidly figured out and it ends in that sort of magical realism way where you're not sure of anything and things that stick out at an awkward angle just have to be accepted. Know what I mean?I think it'd make a good TV movie for Disney, if that helps with anything. It's got that late 1990s/early 2000s Disney live-action movie feel to it. (Think Halloweentown in tone.)

The Kingdom of Little Wounds
Angel Lawson
Countdown City
Ben H. Winters
Rags & Bones: New Twists on Timeless Tales
Holly Black, Kelley Armstrong, Rick Yancey, Neil Gaiman, Carrie Ryan, Saladin Ahmed, Melissa Marr, Margaret Stohl, Kami Garcia, Tim Pratt, Gene Wolfe, Garth Nix, Charles Vess
Hild