Here There Be Books (BL)

I love books with great characters who go on adventures and/or solve mysteries re: invading aliens/vampires/etc. I blog about those books at Here There Be Books!

This is the BookLikes thingy for HTBB.

The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence Mysteries)

The Secret Adversary - Agatha Christie Originally reviewed at Here There Be Books.I didn't really have any expectations for this, mostly because I'm only familiar with Christie's Poirot books and not much else. However, I was immensely satisfied to discover that this is a truly excellent book. I had a lot of fun reading it! The action and drama was kept high throughout the course of the plot, and the twist at the end was marvelously well-done. I didn't expect it at all-- in fact, I thought I had worked out the solution about halfway through, but I was completely wrong. I love it when mystery books do that; it makes reading them into a fun game.The characters were a bit harder to like, especially Tommy and Tuppence. They had a difficult time coming across as actual people, rather than pastiches of people. I don't think I ever really broke through that thinking, but I did cheer them on to "win," and I worried about Tommy when he was kidnapped, and I couldn't stop smiling after T&T got engaged (that's not a spoiler, is it? Surely everyone must know that they're married, right?).As I said before, I had a lot of fun reading this, and I'd easily recommend it to mystery fans, people who want to read something of Christie's besides Poirot/Marple, and those who are fans of inter-war English detective fiction.

The Kingdom of Little Wounds
Angel Lawson
Countdown City
Ben H. Winters
Rags & Bones: New Twists on Timeless Tales
Holly Black, Kelley Armstrong, Rick Yancey, Neil Gaiman, Carrie Ryan, Saladin Ahmed, Melissa Marr, Margaret Stohl, Kami Garcia, Tim Pratt, Gene Wolfe, Garth Nix, Charles Vess
Hild