Here There Be Books (BL)

I love books with great characters who go on adventures and/or solve mysteries re: invading aliens/vampires/etc. I blog about those books at Here There Be Books!

This is the BookLikes thingy for HTBB.

13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)

13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1) - Maureen Johnson -- Originally reviewed at Here There Be Books. --This is my first [a:Maureen Johnson|10317|Maureen Johnson|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1197703391p2/10317.jpg] book. Can you believe it? Of course I knew who she was way before I downloaded this book, but I just hadn't gotten around to reading anything of hers before now. And now? Yeah! I think I'll probably read more of her books.13 Little Blue Envelopes reminds me a lot of John Green's books, although obviously with a female protagonist instead of male. I also want to say that the romance is less important in this book than in some of JG's books. In JG's books I think a lot of a character's development stems from the meeting of or time spent with the love interest. In Envelopes there's a bit of romance, but it's secondary to the other things and I do feel like Ginny's development mostly comes from her experiences abroad as a whole, not just with the romance.Or maybe I feel that way because I really hated the romance in this book. I'm not sure! All I know is that Ginny's love interest skeezed the hell out of me, so maybe I flung that part in the "less important" folder of my brain in an effort to cope.Anyway, my favorite part of the book was, of course, the traveling. I love it when characters travel! The relationship between the physical movement and the emotional/personal growth, etc. is probably the only sort of trope that won't ever annoy me. Plus, Ginny goes through so many good and bad things that happen when you travel that it simultaneously made me want to go to Europe right now and stay at home cowering with my head under the covers. Unfortunately, because it's got all this stuff in it-- travel, romance, something with family-- it did feel a bit all over the place. Sometimes those things go really well together, but sometimes they can seem disparate. I feel like the book didn't entirely know where it was going. If the envelopes and Ginny's personal growth in relation to them were the most important part of the story (which I'm assuming is the case), then why did it feel like it was being pushed aside for other, almost nonsensical things?Some of the travel sequences especially felt out of place, because I couldn't see how they contributed to the overall story. Like, when Ginny stayed with that uber-touristy family in Amsterdam (was it Amsterdam?). What was the point of that, besides giving her a way to stay, of course? What was the point of the daughter telling Ginny about her personal life, when it came out of nowhere and didn't seem to even affect Ginny or the plotline? I suppose all the "nonsensical" things were there to show how weird and wonderful traveling solo is, but I still think it made the story less tightly plotted than it could have been. Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading about Ginny and her aunt's envelopes, and I definitely want to read the next book. I think the sequel has less with the creepy boyfriend, so that's good!

The Kingdom of Little Wounds
Angel Lawson
Countdown City
Ben H. Winters
Rags & Bones: New Twists on Timeless Tales
Holly Black, Kelley Armstrong, Rick Yancey, Neil Gaiman, Carrie Ryan, Saladin Ahmed, Melissa Marr, Margaret Stohl, Kami Garcia, Tim Pratt, Gene Wolfe, Garth Nix, Charles Vess
Hild