Here There Be Books (BL)

I love books with great characters who go on adventures and/or solve mysteries re: invading aliens/vampires/etc. I blog about those books at Here There Be Books!

This is the BookLikes thingy for HTBB.

Piratica: Being a Daring Tale of a Singular Girl's Adventure Upon the High Seas

Piratica: Being a Daring Tale of a Singular Girl's Adventure Upon the High Seas - Tanith Lee -- Originally reviewed at Here There Be Books. --Immediately upon reading the first page of Piratica I was sucked into it, and it kept my interest and enthusiasm right up until the end. I've never read a Tanith Lee book before this one, although her name did seem familiar to me, but if her other books are like this one I think I may have discovered one of my favorite YA authors.That's not to say that Piratica doesn't have problems-- it's a little bit melodramatic and the plot takes suspension of disbelief to its limits-- but Piratica's romanticism and adventuresome plot and delicate handling of the heart's thoughts makes up for those stumbles.Delicacy and melodrama don't seem to go together, but the melodrama was mostly in the dialogue and some parts of the plotline. The delicacy was in the character's interactions with each other, in the way they fell in love with each other, for instance. The combination is kind of a weird one, but Tanith Lee's writing manages to pull it all together and keeps it from being annoying or stilting. Plus, I think melodrama goes well with pirates, don't you?Art is a weird character: I really liked her, but she has a tendency to be stubborn, close-mouthed, and sneaky. Good qualities in a pirate, I think, but they don't really make me trust her. Art also has a fixation on her mother, which is understandable but somewhat frustrating when I want her to find her own destiny-- not just follow her mother's. She's tricky, that one, and I hope being in love doesn't cloud her judgment or something in the sequel. (She doesn't really seem the sort who'd do that, anyway.)The other characters vary from campy and humorous to mysterious and intriguing, and they made a good supporting cast. Piratica is mostly about Art, but it's also about the people surrounding Art, and it's not all pirate antics. It's about family, and love, and trying to recapture something that was lost. It's also just really, really fun.Piratica isn't your typical high seas adventure book, and though it toes the line between "too much" and "just enough," it's supremely enjoyable and makes for a pleasant Saturday afternoon. There aren't nearly enough books with female pirates as leads, either, so that's worth a look at least. Plus, swordfights!

The Kingdom of Little Wounds
Angel Lawson
Countdown City
Ben H. Winters
Rags & Bones: New Twists on Timeless Tales
Holly Black, Kelley Armstrong, Rick Yancey, Neil Gaiman, Carrie Ryan, Saladin Ahmed, Melissa Marr, Margaret Stohl, Kami Garcia, Tim Pratt, Gene Wolfe, Garth Nix, Charles Vess
Hild